Full refund of startfee

It is possible, it’s nothing new, offers have been given but not much has happened.

Both low levels of snow and bad weather have led to cancellation of popular ski marathons during the last few years. Some times cancellation occurs before race day but also many times ON race day, just before the race starts. So what should we do?
The International Association of Worldloppet Skiers (IAWLS) have been working on the case and after this years many cancellations it became more applicable to present the work.

Put in few words, it is possible for race organizers to buy insurance that will give all participants a full refund of the start fee if the race is cancelled; either on race day or before. With this insurance neither race organizer or participant loses financially if the sad cancellation should happen. The cost of this benefit is so small that a realistic example says the start fee goes from 1000 NOK to 1020 NOK. Only 20 NOK (2.50 euro) extra per participant and it’s in place.

IAWLS have been in contact with several international and domestic insurance agencies and their partners regarding this issue and gathered estimates. Depending on the probability of cancellation the premium will reflect this. It could be as low as 2% for the races that rarely gets cancelled and up to 6-8% for those with a high degree of uncertainty. 2% on 1000 NOK is only 20 NOK. We wouldn’t notice this small extra charge in our wallet. Insurances like this are called “bad weather insurances” or “cancellation insurances” and they are not a special rare thing; quite normal and common for those who handle them.

A special angle that comes into account is arrangements with TV-coverage and large sponsorship deals. Sponsors expect TV coverage so the deals become more combined and complex.

Several ski marathons and other large arrangements have been given an offer on deals like this but they have not accepted. If we consider the laws of the norwegian ski federation then the rule is that cancellations on race day means the organizer don’t have to refund any part of the start fee. If cancellation is done before race day then at least 50% must be refunded. We all hope so very much that the race is not cancelled that some choose to believe that the bad weather forecast is all wrong and that weather on race day will be fine. It is allowed to live in hope. On the other side there has been talk that some race organizers speculate on this and wait until race day before they cancel even though it was clear the day before that the race could not be run.

If we look closer at the norwegian ski federations law. Paragraph 214.2.4.2. specifies “sudden appeared weather/climate conditions”. Now, if bad weather is forecasted a few days in advance and the weather ends up as forecasted then this law is no longer applicable and the race can’t hold back start fees. Nice weather the day before race does not change anything as long as bad weather on race day is forecasted and is correct. But this is a different debate. Here we will address the insurance part.

Lars

Lars

Do you need this insurance if you have a “backup short track”? Even with storm, wind and lots of precipitation you can’t arrange a short “Birkie” of 20km. Some race locations don’t even have a backup track. So NO race is 100% safe that the race will run so an insurance is always applicable. The fact that there exists a short backup track may give lower insurance premium. But never remove the need for it.
With all this information available there are many fine things possible. Will there be any changes coming? Let us hope so, in one way or another.

Kind regards Lars Valge
President IAWLS. International Association of Worldloppet Skiers.

REPLY from Birkebeinerrennet:

We presented this text to Birkebeinerrennet in May 2014 and this was the reply we got from race organisation manager, Jo Gunnar Ellevold. Translated by us:

“Hei Lars, thank you for the input regarding possebilities for “bad weather insurances”. We are now working on alternative tracks for Birkebeinerrennet, safetyplans and alternative solutions regarding unforeseen happenings. In addition, of cource, the Birkebeinerløpet and Landsveisbirken that will be on June 14th. I will look more into what is in the concept of bad weather insurance and what criteria the insurance companies put as basis for this. Then it will be a total-evaluation of insurance-possebilities in relation to what safety an alternative track will give us, regarding wind and snowfall. I will get back to you when this is all ready.”

Original text for this case is in Norwegian and given in full below this line:

Full tilbakebetaling av startkontigent

Det er mulig, det er ikke noe nytt, tilbud er gitt før men lite har skjedd.

Både lite snømengder og uvær har ført til populære turrenn/skimaraton har vært avlyst de siste årene. Noen ganger før renndag men også flere ganger renndagen, like før start. Det har vært opplevt som spesielt surt for mange. Så hva kan man gjøre?

Den internasjonale forening for Worldloppet deltakere (IAWLS) har jobbet med saken og etter årets avlyste Birkebeinerrennet så ble det mer aktuelt å presentere arbeidet.

Kort sagt, det er mulig for rennarrangør å kjøpe forsikringer som gjør at alle deltakere får hele sin startkontigent tilbakebetalt hvis rennet blir avlyst. Enten på renndag eller før. På den måten taper hverken arrangør eller deltakere noe økonomisk hvis det sure skulle skje. Kostnaden er så liten at et realistisk eksempel sier at startkontigent går fra 1000kr til 1020kr. Kun 20kr ekstra per deltaker så er det i orden.

IAWLS har vært i kontakt med flere internasjonale og nasjonale forsikringsbyrå og deres agenter angående dette og innhentet estimater. Avhengig av sannsynligheten for å måtte avlyse rennet vil premien reflektere dette. Det kan være snakk om 2% premie for de renn som sjeldent avlyses og opp i 6-8% for de som har høy grad av usikkerhet. 2% på tusen kroner er bare tyve kroner. Det merker vi ikke i lommeboka. Slike forsikringer er omtalt som «uværsforsikringer» og «avlysningsforsikringer» og de er ikke noe sært fenomen. Ganske normalt for de som driver med det.

En spesiell vinkel som av og til teller inni dette er arrangementer med TV dekning og store sponsoravtaler. Sponsorer for forventer TV dekning. Da blir avtalene litt mer sammensatte.

Flere turrenn og andre store arrangementer har fått tilbud på dette men har ikke tatt imot. Hvis vi holder oss innenfor lovene til Skiforbundet så er de slik at hvis rennet avlyses på renndag så trenger man ikke tilbakebetale noe. Hvis avlysing før renndag så må minst 50% tilbakebetales. Vi ønsker så inderlig at rennene ikke skal avlyses at mange velger å tro værvarsel er helt feil og at været på renndag blir tilstrekkelig. Det er lov å leve i håpet. På den andre siden har noen ment arrangører spekulerer i dette og venter med avlysning til renndag selv om det dagen før var klart rennet ikke ville kunne arrangeres.

Men la oss se litt nærmere på loven. NSF214.2.4.2. Den spesifiserer «plutselig oppstått vær/klimatiske forhold». Hvis uvær er varlset et par dager før renndag og været blir som varslet så teller strengt tatt ikke den loven om å beholde startkontigenten. Fint vær dagen før rennet endrer ikke noe så lenge dårlig vær på renndag er varslet og stemmer. Det er en annen debatt, vi adresserer forsikring her.

Trenger man forsikring hvis man har «reserveløype»? Selv med storm og mye nedbør så kan man ikke arrangere et kort birkebeinerrenn på to mil. Noen rennlokasjoner har heller ingen mulighet til mer sikker reserveløype. Så ingen renn er 100% sikre på gjennomføring og forsikring er alltid aktuelt. At det finnes en kortere reserveløype kan være med på å senke forsikringspremien. Ikke fjerne behovet for den.

Med all denne informasjonen tilgjengelig så er det mye fint som er mulig. Blir det noen andringer fremover? Vi får da håpe det. På den ene eller andre måten.

Mvh Lars Vagle

Styreleder IAWLS. International Association of Worldloppet Skiers. 

 REPLY from Birkebeinerennet:

Vi presenterte denne teksten til Bikebeinerenent i mai 2014 og dette var svaret vi fikk fra deres daglig leder Jo Gunnar Ellevold:

“Hei Lars, takk for mail med innspill ang mulighet for ”uværsforsikring”. Vi jobber nå med alternativ trasse til Birkebeinerrennet, beredskapsplaner og alternative løsninger ved uforutsette hendelser. I tillegg selvfølgelig Birkebeinerløpene og Landeveisbirken som går 14 juni. Jeg skal undersøke nærmere hva som ligger i uværsforsikring og hvilke kriterier forsikringsselskapene legger til grunn. Så vil det være en totalvurdering av forsikringsmuligheter ift hvilken sikkerhet alternativ trasse gir oss mtp vind og snødrift. Kommer tilbake med informasjon til deg når dette er klart.”

This entry was posted in News 2014. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Full refund of startfee

  1. Pingback: News from Jizerska 2017 | International Association of Worldloppet Skiers

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s